The data collection website now can provide basic capabilities. Anyone interested, please check out http://talknicer.net/~li-bo/datacollection/login.php and give it a try. If you encounter any problems, please let us know.
Here are my accomplishments from last week:
1) Discussed the project schema design with the project mentor and created the database with MySQL. The current schema is shown at http://talknicer.net/w/Database_schema. During the development of the user interface, slight modifications were made to refine the database schema, such as the age field in for the users table: Storing the user's birth date is much better. Other similar changes were made. I learned that good database design comes from practice, not purely imagination.
2) Implemented the two types of user registration pages: one for students and one for exemplar uploaders. To avoid redundant work and allow for fewer constraints on types of users, the registration process involves two steps: one basic registration and one extra information update. For students, only the basic one is mandatory, but the exemplar uploaders have to fill out two separate forms.
3) Added extra supporting functionality for user management, including password reset and mode selection for users with more than one type.
4) Incorporated the audio recorder with the website for recording and uploading to servers.
This week I plan to:
1) Complete the user interface for adding phrase prompts;
2) Test the resulting system;
3) Design the pronunciation learning game for student users.